Founded in the United Kingdom in 2004, SiteGround is now a popular hosting company worldwide – in fact, among the best hosts in Australia, top web hosts in Canada, and web hosts in the UK. On top of that, it’s also the best WordPress host in Australia.
It has earned a reputation for outstanding reliability and fast load speeds. Does it deserve the reputation? Our SiteGround review explores that question based on pricing, support, and other pros and cons.
Choosing your SiteGround package is simple. All the packages come with:
- Managed WordPress services
- One free website migration
- A free SSL
- Free Cloudflare CDN services
- No limit on databases
- Unmetered traffic
- At least 10 GB of webspace
The three packages are Startup, Grow Big, and Go Geek. If you pay for the first year upfront, you receive a substantial discount, with prices ranging from $83.88 to $179.88.
You may opt to pay monthly, or every two or three years, but the discount only applies to the annual package for the first year. Why would someone consider a three-year plan instead? By taking the three-year plan, you lock in today’s rate for the duration of the term.
The business bills itself as a premier solution, but does the customer service uphold this promise? Clients get 24/7 support via instant chat or a support ticket, but from there, it becomes murkier.
Many clients find the service outstanding, but others have found issues with general service since the last merge.
Some customers cited the support staff as unhelpful, and others mentioned that the service is too procedure-orientated. We have to wonder about the situation behind the query, though. Were these clients doing something that went against company policy? There are two sides to every story.
For review purposes, we choose cautious optimism. The reports are overwhelmingly positive, so we recommend taking the time to read SiteGround’s fine print to avoid disappointment.
- Most companies aim for 99.9% uptime, SiteGround guarantees it
- 24/7 instant chat support
- Consistently fast load speeds
- One free site migration done for you
- For other migrations, there is a free migration tool that makes the process simple
- Even the basic package offers advanced features
- Free SSL, Cloudflare CDN, and WordPress management
- Unlimited databases
- Traffic is not metered
- Great design with advanced features for professionals
- Sophisticated site protection against malware
- Money-back guarantee of 30 days for all shared products
- No access to a “no-frills, dirt-cheap” package
- Expensive if you’re not using the main features
- Webspace is capped at 10 GB, 20Gb, or 40 GB
- The cost is too high if you’re not interested in a managed solution
- Extra fee for a domain name
- Service may have deteriorated since the company’s early days
Does SiteGround deserve its sterling reputation? We feel that it does.
Some complaints are expected with a sophisticated hosting product, but we certainly appreciate that SiteGround guarantees an uptime of 99.9%.
If your site goes down because of a mistake made by the company, it will give you a free month’s hosting. It is unusual to find this kind of guarantee in the industry. We see it as a sign that it is serious about your site, keeping its promises regarding uptimes, which are amongst the best in the industry.
Does it deliver turbo-charged load speeds consistently? Yes.
The advantage of paying the extra money is that it has the resources that it needs to deliver on these types of promises. As long as your site isn’t loaded with bloatware, it’ll load exceptionally quickly.
Would we like to see more webspace? Yes, but this is not enough to be a dealbreaker. In our research for this SiteGround review, we found that the firm delivers on its promises. You receive a fantastic product with features that make a noticeable difference to site performance.